What is more educationally responsible from among the alternatives below. Anytime you feel it\’s all very clear, don\’t ignore the possibility that there may a trap somewhere…
- Encouraging someone to ask questions or give answers to questions no one is asking?
- Helping learners discover worlds of fascinating and worthwhile knowledge around them versus providing them information from books?
- Setting challenging tasks versus \’telling\’ children, giving explanatory lectures ?
- Encouraging reflection or ensuring memorization of the right answers?
- Preventing errors or letting children discover for themselves when they\’ve made a mistake?
- Giving feedback versus giving marks (and remarks)?
- Ensuring all children get the same opportunity versus ensuring different children get different opportunities?
- Doing everything oneself (if you\’re a teacher) versus passing on some of your tasks to children (e.g. marking attendance, ensuring participation of peers)
- Maintaining all provided materials in good shape or using them at the risk of their getting spoilt, torn, etc.?
- Asking community to help with their knowledge heritage versus asking community to contribute to improvement in mid day meal?
- Using a textbook as a resource versus using a textbook as a definitive material (i.e. assuming it is the curriculum)
- Reading this blog or reading a useful book on education?!
So what is more educationally responsible? Let me have more such pairs / alternatives to choose from, and also your views on the above!