What is Bilingual Method ?
Bilingual method is one of the newest method. where two languages are used one is the mother tongue of the students and the other is the target language (English). Mother tongue is used in the class to achieve the target language. This method is the midway approach of grammar translation method and direct method.
Bilingual Method is one of many teaching methods of English language.C.J Dodson had invented this method of teaching Foreign language in 1967. Schools use this method where two languages i.e. the mother tongue and target language are used. In this method, teachers use the mother tongue to achieve the target language ( here it is English) .
The method is based on the principles of similarities and differences which is found between the two languages. These may be of situation, sounds, vocabulary, structure etc. If the learner/the teacher understands these differences, the learning of the target language is facilitated considerably.
When the child is learning his mother tongue, he becomes acquainted with the situations and picks up the language easily and correctly. While learning the foreign language, the teacher can create same situations again in order to make the child learn the foreign language.
Difference between Bilingual and Direct Method?
Direct Method is used in majority of English Medium schools and Bilingual method is used in majority of regional language medium schools.In Bilingual method of teaching English the teacher used both language English as well as mother tongue.
Science behind bilingual method
The advocates of bilingual method believe that it is merely wastage of time as there is duplicity of the same thing. We suggest you that you can utilise the saved time for giving practice in sentence pattern.
In this method, importance is given to the mother tongue and its culture. Thus it does not lead to substitution of one means of communication for another. This method of language learning ensures accessibility. When students start learning a language using this method, they find a level of familiarity.
Bilingual methods of teaching English
The history of language teaching in India has a long tradition background. The key part of learning procedure was attributed through memorization of vocabulary and translation of sentences. In India the ancient languages like Pali and Sanskrit were taught through the practice of memorization of texts, in this 20th century there should be a remarkable changes in language teaching.
The term bilingual education is stated to using of two or more languages in the classroom atmosphere for the better understanding. It is the process of teaching the target language through mother tongue of the student. Since English is not a medium of instructions in schools and colleges in India, Indian students can’t practice and perform their English pronunciation.
Even during in English classes most of the teachers teach English without providing students for proper practice in speaking because they are not well prepared enough to give practice it especially in rural engineering colleges in India. This paper focuses on teaching English through mother tongue for engineers with reference to the Indian context.
Advantages of Bilingual Method
1. The teacher is able to teach English to the entire satisfaction of the students.
2. The students are also able to understand English well.
3. Right use of mother tongue by the teacher does not spoil the environment of teaching English. It just helps in teaching English better.
4. This method helps in developing fluency in spoken English.
5. Bilingual Method also helps in giving proper training for different skills namely listening, speaking, reading and writing.
6. The use of mother tongue saves a lot time and makes learning easier. Complex things can be easily explained in the mother tongue.
Disadvantages of Bilingual Method
1. Using this method, the teacher teaches English through English language and sometimes he uses his mother tongue and this practice diverts the attention of the students.
2. Sometimes it happens that the teacher of English language may not be good in both the languages. He doesn’t get perfection in any of the languages as his labor is also distributed between the two languages.
3. The use of mother tongue while teaching English language may spoil the continuity and fluency of the language.
4. It is the possibility that a few students in the class may be more attentive to mother tongue sounds and less attentive to English Sounds. As a result their pronunciation may become defective.